Balance is ending foreclosure with a more affordable and flexible way to own a home. Come build a category-defining company and $1T asset class with us.
Applications & referrals: email@example.com
As the Underwriting and Analytics lead at Balance, you'll help us rebuild home financing from first principles. You will have the opportunity to develop the foundational systems, tools, and processes that power a more flexible and affordable form of home ownership. You'll play a key part in defining and developing many critical systems that power the product, including the forecasting, risk models, and pricing capabilities.
- Define and develop key risk strategies to product teams
- Leverage internal and external data to develop product and homeowner level credit models/policies and apply those to underwrite customers for Balance products.
- Partner with product and engineering to build the risk and pricing platform.
- Partner with internal stakeholders (product, engineering, sales, partnerships, data science) to identify and build mitigations against risks associated with product initiatives.
- Develop forecasting models for losses & defaults, credit improvement, & portfolio performance.
- Assess a product’s risk performance, develop risk monitoring and reporting tools, and help develop and prioritize long-term strategic plans for future growth.
- Support management of the credit risk framework, including owner and asset risk, calibration of portfolio limits, and compliance with various complex regulatory requirements.
- Hands-on, detail-oriented risk practitioner with exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to be self-sufficient and solve problems creatively while working in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines
- 5+ years experience in related roles in financial services, risk, data science, or analytics.
- Strong analytical skills in forecasting and interpreting results and comfortable working with large quantities of data
- Experience developing policies and underwriting consumers for credit products (credit cards, unsecured loans, auto loans, mortgages etc.)
- Excited about collaboration and working at a fast-growing startup
- Relentless resourcefulness
- Bonus points
- Familiarity with consumer credit products (credit cards, unsecured loans, auto loans, mortgages etc.)
- Deep understanding of consumer credit report variables/attributes
- Experience with financial services or residential real estate
- Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science, Data Analytics or equivalent discipline
- Eager to grow and lead new projects
Working at Balance
Lean & ambitiously chill team
Unbounded opportunity in each role
Make a real impact: preserve household wealth & prevent housing insecurity at scale
Flexible, remote-friendly culture
We're cultivating an inclusive and sustainable workplace backed by excellent benefits:
- Ownership - Meaningful early-stage equity in Balance
- Healthcare - 100% paid Medical, Vision & Dental
- 401k - 100% of contributions matched up to 3% of salary; 50% matched up to 5%
- Unlimited Time Off - Manage to your work, take the flexibility
- Remote work stipend - $250/mo to spend however you'd like
- Anything else you're looking for? - Let us know!
We’re a team of scrappy, mission driven individuals focused on ending foreclosure with a new way to own. We’re growing fast and looking for teammates to have an active hand in defining our company’s culture. You’ll be a great fit if:
- You’re a team player, always ready to collaborate and give feedback
- You’re a self-starter who is eager to ship code
- You’re excited to be involved in all aspects of the product
- You’re scrappy! You love proactively finding solutions to problems and you’ve got a get-it-done mindset
At Balance, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
How do I get in touch?
Send your profile over to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply
Where is Balance located?
We’re building a fully remote team and have teammates in California, Texas, Virginia, Florida and the UK
Do you consider part-time?
We have a strong preference for full-time, but we're open to shaping positions for candidates committed to joining full-time over the long term.
How are you funded?
We’ve closed multiple rounds of venture funding with top-tier investors.
What is the compensation?
Balance offers competitive compensation for top-tier candidates and a growing set of benefits.